Compare holiday let insurance

Get a quote in minutes for specialist insurance with the additional cover required for holiday letting.

Compare prices across a panel of top UK insurers

Up to £5 million public liability per guest-related claim

Insurance for theft, accidental & malicious damage by guests

Hundreds of 5-star customer reviews.

Get a quote now

Or call us on 0800 254 5171

Learn more

What’s included?

With Pikl, you can get buildings and contents cover for both standard and guest-related claims. We also allow you to compare holiday let insurance through our panel of insurers to look for the best deal. Below are some examples of standard and guest-related cover that we provide:

Public liability for guest-related issues

Fire, storm and flood damage

Loss of income

Home emergency cover

Theft, vandalism and accidental damage

Legal expenses cover

Replacement locks

Up to 365 days of guest-related cover if needed

Escape of water and oil

Subsidence, heave and landslip

Property owner & personal liability cover

No admin fees for mid-term policy changes

What is holiday let insurance?

Holiday let insurance covers second homes rented out to paying guests. With booking and travel sites rising in prominence, renting out a holiday home to guests for additional income is more widespread. Holiday let insurance differs from regular home insurance in that it covers additional homes specifically used for this purpose. Standard home insurance by contrast typically covers residents living in it. Holiday let insurance therefore covers the specific risks that come with owning this type of property, which includes issues such as guest-related damage or claims that arise from the property being unoccupied for longer periods than standard residential homes.

What does insurance for holiday lets cover?

Holiday letting insurance typically contains two components of cover. Buildings insurance protects the physical structure of your property. Contents insurance covers the items inside of it. Whilst some of these aspects of cover are core features that come built in with your holiday let insurance, there is usually a range of optional add-ons you can buy as well. Let’s break down the main aspects of cover that Pikl and other insurers provide:

Buildings insurance

Pikl’s buildings insurance for holiday lets can cover any part of the physical makeup of the property*, including:

  • Built-in fixtures such as baths, showers, sinks, cupboards, and ceramic hobs.
  • Pipework, drains, radiators and wiring.
  • Roofs, ceilings, floors, walls, and windows.
  • Outbuildings, garages, sheds swimming pools, etc.

*Flats are an exception to the above as our buildings insurance does not cover the external structure of a flat or apartment. This would be picked up by the underlying buildings insurance provided typically by the freeholder of the building.

Contents insurance

Contents can easily be undervalued but often add up in value as they cover a wide variety of potential issues. Examples of items covered under contents with Pikl include:

  • Electrical items such as televisions, toasters, kettles, etc.
  • Valuables, watches, and jewellery. 
  • Gadgets, phones, computers, and tablets.
  • Carpets and rugs.
  • Furniture, sofas and beds.

When purchasing contents insurance, it’s also important to note the value of each item. Insurers typically set a single article limit, which is a ceiling on the total value you can claim for an individual item. If an item is worth more than this, it typically needs to be listed individually on the policy to be covered.

Optional extras

Not all of the cover features listed above are covered for every type of claim or as standard features as each insurer varies what they offer in terms of cover. With Pikl, you can choose between options that cover extras such as:

  • Accidental damage: Protects against items unintentionally damaged by residents at the property.
  • Home emergency: Covers emergency call-outs that require immediate attention. 
  • Legal expenses cover: This add-on covers any potential costs associated with taking someone to court.
  • Personal belongings: Most insurers don’t allow you to make claims for items away from home unless you take out personal belongings cover. Consider this option if taking expensive belongings with you and this isn’t covered under your travel insurance.
  • Bicycle cover: Most insurers provide an element of cover for bikes as standard. Typically once you reach a certain threshold of value, it will only be covered if specified. However, this isn’t always under personal belongings cover and each insurer may do something different.

Insurance for guests

The amount of guest-related cover you can get varies with each insurer. Typical issues to consider are:

  • Accidental & malicious damage.
  • Theft or attempted theft.
  • Public liability cover.
  • Legal expenses.
  • Loss of income.
  • Escape of water, oil, and fire damage.

Unlike with Pikl, holiday let insurers may not provide cover for theft or malicious damage by a guest you have allowed into your home.

Do I need holiday let insurance cover for my holiday home?

Several parts of the UK now require a short-let licence in order to operate if you have paying guests, as outlined in our article on legal requirements for Airbnb hosts. Areas such as Scotland now require some form of insurance in place as part of this. England may follow shortly. 

Beyond any regional requirements, mortgage providers also typically require some form of insurance in place. Insurance also protects you against serious out-of-pocket expenses that you may otherwise struggle to pay if something goes wrong. Allowing paying guests into your home also brings up potential issues that represent a different kind of risk. These unique issues make insurance for holiday lets an essential purchase if you’re serious about protecting your property and your income.

What kind of insurance cover do I need for a holiday let?

The needs of each individual will vary quite a lot. Having said that, below are some key areas of insurance that you may consider the most important.

Buildings insurance to cover the property rebuild cost

The cost of rebuilding an entire property is often very expensive, which makes building insurance an essential purchase for many. The construction type will also play a factor when considering this. Additional factors such as whether the property is a listed building may also push up the potential rebuild cost. The rebuild cost will determine how much buildings insurance cover you require. Use a rebuild cost calculator or contact a property surveyor if you aren’t sure.

Contents insurance to replace items

Not everyone will want contents insurance cover, especially if there aren’t that many items in the property. But what if there are items that would be costly to replace? If you can’t afford to pay this out of your pocket then this is something you may want to consider. Issues such as accidental damage or theft may be more likely to occur if you have guests staying in your property.

Public liability insurance for holiday lets

Regions of the UK such as Scotland now require public liability insurance as part of its requirements for obtaining a short-let licence, which is mandatory if you’re renting out a property to short-term guests. Outside of legal requirements, public liability insurance protects you against significant hassle and costs. A large liability claim due to third-party property damage or guest injury can result in £10,000s in damages against you. Here are some examples of where someone could make a claim against you:

  • A guest falls over a trip hazard and injures themselves.
  • The neighbour’s house burns down after one of your guests sets fire to your property.
  • An overseas guest electrocutes themselves on faulty wiring and is repatriated to their home country.

Be sure to check your property for any potential hazards that could cause injuries or result in property damage. If you’re found to be legally liable for anything, having the right cover in place can provide you with peace of mind knowing that you’re protected.

Theft and malicious damage

Theft or malicious damage inside of the home when it comes to traditional insurance is typically covered in scenarios where there has been forced entry. By contrast, guest-related theft or malicious damage may be excluded by other holiday let insurers, as cover varies depending on who you are with. Examples of the types of guest-related claims where this would be relevant include:

  • Items stolen from your home.
  • Parties where the guests trash your home.
  • Criminal damage.

Not only can these types of claims be very stressful, they can also be very costly. The chances of these types of claims occurring are higher when you let guests into your home, making theft and malicious damage an important aspect of cover to consider.

Loss of income

Managing a holiday let business takes up considerable time and effort. Losing out on potential income can also prove very costly and stressful if you have to cancel bookings as a result of making a claim. Depending on the type of damage being repaired, it may take some time to put your home back into action. Consider purchasing insurance that also provides loss of income cover following a covered claim, such as the kind that Pikl provides 14 days after a claim where this is required. 

Legal expenses cover

Court cases and legal issues can arise as a result of being a homeowner. Legal expenses can cover the costs of having to make these types of claims. Some examples of where legal expenses cover might be used include:

  • A contractual dispute.
  • Making a liability claim against another person or organisation.
  • A consumer protection claim.
  • Eviction.
  • Covering the cost of an accountant if being investigated by HMRC.

Consider whether you could afford the cost of legal fees yourself. Many holiday home owners find that having legal expenses covered by their policy gives them peace of mind for this very reason.

Home emergency

Fixing urgent repairs can be stressful. It is often very expensive too when you need it to be done on short notice. The number of potential issues where this could occur are potentially endless, but here are some of the most common examples:

  • Boiler faults.
  • Burst pipes.
  • Security breaches such as a broken window.
  • Leaky roofs.
  • Electrical failure.
  • Heating issues.

Proper budgeting and property maintenance can reduce the likelihood of such issues occurring or make them less disruptive. Unfortunately, they can also arise anyway as an inevitable result of owning a home. If you’d like to protect yourself against issues like this, purchasing home emergency cover may be a wise choice.

Is holiday let insurance expensive?

Holiday let insurance is usually more expensive than regular home insurance as it covers different risks, but it also depends on your situation and the insurer. Not being present at the home as often could increase the chances of a claim occurring. In addition, having guests at the property is not the same as having residents living there. However, each home and risk is also different. Many of the factors that affect a standard home insurance policy are also relevant in the case of holiday lets, such as:

  • Your excess.
  • The level of cover purchased (including optional add-ons).
  • Your no-claims bonus.
  • Property type.
  • Location.

Make sure you purchase the cover you require to keep yourself protected but don’t overinsure yourself either. Doing so could mean you pay more than you need to. Paying everything up front is usually cheaper, but consider whether you can afford to do this. There is no one size fits all approach when it comes to insurance premiums, so do what works for you.

Won’t platforms like Airbnb cover me?

Airbnb provides some protection, but this is limited and isn’t a replacement for having proper insurance in place. In addition, some platforms provide no cover at all. Head over to our Airbnb insurance guide to find out more on this topic.

What types of properties does holiday let insurance cover?

Holiday home insurance typically covers properties made of common building construction materials such as brick and tile or stone and slate. The types of buildings covered can vary from flats to whole properties, holiday lodges, and chalets. Whilst standard properties are easier to insure, a specialist such as Pikl can also cover less common property and construction types. Get in touch if you have any questions about your property.

Want to learn more about holiday lets? Read our selection of helpful guides

Whether you’ve just started out or are an experienced holiday let owner, check out our selection of in-depth holiday home guides and tips to maximise your income and protect your property.

Can you get a mortgage on a holiday home rental?

Discover more about holiday let mortgages and whether you can get a mortgage on a holiday home. Click here to learn more.
Read more

Furnished Holiday Let Tax Rules: A Guide to Tax on Holiday Lets

We discuss furnished holiday let tax rules and more in this comprehensive guide to tax on holiday lets. Click the link to read further.
Read more

The Best Place to Advertise Your Holiday Let

Looking to find the best place to advertise your holiday let? We discuss the best way to market your property. Read here to learn more.
Read more

Renting out a holiday home: How to run a successful holiday let

Check out our in-depth tips on renting out a holiday home. We discuss how to run a successful holiday let business. Click here to learn more.
Read more

Holiday Let Rules & Regulations UK: Are You Affected?

Find out how various UK holiday let rules and regulations impact your business. Read more in this guide from Pikl.
Read more

We’re a friendly bunch, say hello

If you have a question or need to make changes to your policy, then please email us or give us a call.

Pikl Insurance Services Limited is a private limited company registered in England and Wales under company number 10449346 with registered office Suite B, 2nd Floor, The Atrium, St. Georges Street, Norwich, England, NR3 1AB. Pikl Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the FCA, firm number 773457.