Specialist UK Holiday Home Insurance - Pikl

Specialist UK Holiday Home Insurance

Flexible second home and holiday let insurance cover

Regardless of how you use your holiday home, having the right insurance cover in place is essential. That's why we've built insurance to cover many different types of holiday home owners. So, whether you want holiday cottage insurance just for private getaways or need second home insurance that covers paying guests, we have many tailored options to suit you.
Get a quote now

Two ways to get cover with Pikl

Top-up insurance

Keep your existing insurance and just get cover for guest related incidents when renting out your property.

All-in-one insurance

Full buildings and/or contents insurance plus optional guest related cover for total peace of mind.

Take out cover in minutes

Get a quote
Airbnb, Booking.com and Vrbo logos

Insurance for holiday lets and second homes built around your needs

At Pikl, we understand that not every owner with an additional home is the same. That's why we've created cover that gives you the freedom to choose.

With extensive cover, no time limits on how often you can rent your property out to paying guests and the ability to compare holiday home insurance with our panel of leading UK insurers, Pikl has something to offer a wide variety of holiday home owners.

Get buildings & contents cover for things such as:

  • Extensive cover for guest related claims including theft, guest damages, legal expenses cover, public liability insurance for holiday lets and much more
  • Fire, flood & storm damage
  • Escape of water and oil
  • Theft and vandalism
  • Accidental damage
  • Subsidence, heave and landslip
  • Alternative accommodation following a claim
  • Replacement locks
  • Property owner & personal liability cover
  • Home emergency cover

Insurance for holiday homes reviews

Do you have enough cover for paying guests?

Pikl's holiday home insurance Traditional holiday home insurance*
Theft by a guest Yes Maybe
Malicious damage by a guest Yes Maybe

* Most standard holiday home insurance providers don’t provide cover for theft or malicious damage by a guest but cover varies with each insurer. Contact us so we can assess your cover with you.

Questions from real holiday home owners

"What is holiday home insurance?"

Unlike home insurance, holiday home or second insurance protects a property that isn’t your main residence. This can include cover for things such as burst pipes or theft with forced entry that could be more likely to occur in cases where a building is left empty for extended periods of time. Depending on the insurer, some cover may be provided for when you rent out your property to guests. Cover for guest related incidents may not always be extensive however. Potential gaps in cover could leave you exposed if you don’t have the right cover.

"What does holiday home insurance cover?"

Depending on the type of cover you take out, holiday home insurance covers buildings and contents like a standard home insurance policy – but with the unique risk factors of the property potentially being left unoccupied for a longer period of time. Some insurance packages also include cover for when you have paying guests. At Pikl, we have a number of tailored options for all of these eventualities to make sure you have the best cover.


Buildings Contents Guest
Cover for the entirety of your home’s structural integrity, including fixtures and fittings. Protects against the loss, damage or theft of items in your home. Combined buildings and contents cover for when paying guests stay in your holiday home.

"Can you get house insurance on a holiday home?"

Whilst it’s getting cover for a holiday home isn’t too difficult, home insurance isn’t usually adequate. The risk factors associated with having a property that isn’t lived in all the time are looked at by insurers differently. If you own a holiday home, you’ll need to look at a dedicated holiday home insurance policy instead.

"What insurance do I need for a holiday let?"

The cover you require depends on what you use the property for primarily. If it’s used as the main place you live in or for tenants, you’ll need a specialist home or landlord insurance policy that also covers guests. For owners that use this property as an additional home, holiday home cover should suffice. An owner renting out their property full time will require a specialist holiday let insurance policy. Cover for paying guests may vary depending on the type of insurer, but theft or malicious damage by a guest is usually excluded.

"How much does holiday home insurance cost and what is the average holiday let insurance cost?"

The cost of getting holiday home insurance cover depends on many things such as the type of property, how you use it and how much cover you need. At Pikl, we search through a panel of insurers to give you the most value for money

"Is second home insurance more expensive?"

Not having your property occupied all the time could push up the price of your premium, but each case depends on your situation. You may need less cover if you don’t keep as many belongings or valuable items at the property and this could bring your premium down. Other factors could affect the price you pay, such as your property’s location or whether you have guests. How much time you spend at your property could be a factor also.

"Do you cover properties overseas?"

Our insurance only covers UK properties at this time.

"Do I need holiday home insurance?"

Legally, this depends on the region of the UK you live in and what you use the property for. There are differences in requirements across places like England and Scotland. In the first instance, you should contact your local authority if you’re not sure. In addition, it costs a lot to repair a property and protecting it could save you losing income, especially if you also rent it out to guests. Without insurance cover in place, you’d have to pay for the full cost of rebuilding a property yourself.

If you have a mortgage on your holiday home, building insurance is likely a necessity because the mortgage provider will probably insist on it.

"Do I need public liability insurance for a holiday let?"

If you’re living in Scotland, current guidance requires you to have liability cover if you rent your property out to paying guests. In other parts of the UK such as England and Wales, there is no legal requirement at the time of writing although things can change quickly. If you’re unsure about whether you need liability cover or how much you need, contact the local authority in your region.

Regardless of which part of the UK you live in, having adequate public liability cover in place gives you better protection in case something goes wrong at your property. Not having cover in place could cost you £1,000s and cause significant stress and worry. At Pikl, we provide up to £2 million in public liability cover to give you extra protection.

Is vacation rental damage insurance worth it?

If you rent out your property as a holiday or vacation listing for paying guests, having the right holiday home insurance in place to cover you for potential damages will protect your property. This can allow you to focus on other things, such as getting more guest bookings, without having to worry if something does go wrong.

Get a quote

Maintenance & holiday home security tips

Taking steps to prevent things from going wrong is one of the best ways of making sure your property is protected.

Visit the property regularly

Checking up on the property as much as possible ensures you’ll be there to discover any potential mishaps such as burst pipes, flooding or even break-ins.

Secure your property

Make sure that all doors that provide access to the house are fitted with insurance approved locks and the property is self-contained. To be insurance approved, the locks must meet British Standard 3621 (BS3621) requirements.

Protect against guest damages

Take our risk score quiz in our ‘Is Airbnb safe?’ article for general tips on how to keep your property secure when you have guests. Setting Airbnb house rules is also important, as is a safe Airbnb check in process for secure key handovers.

Want to learn more about holiday lets? Read our selection of helpful guides

Whether you’ve just started out or are an experienced holiday let owner, check out our selection of in-depth holiday home guides and tips to maximise your income and protect your property.

Get a quote

Renting out a holiday home

Check out our in-depth tips on renting out a holiday home.

Renting out a holiday home

Furnished holiday let tax rules

Read our guide on furnished holiday let tax rules and more.

Furnished holiday let taxes

Holiday let rules & regulations

Click the link to read about holiday let rules & regulations.

Holiday let rules

Advertising your holiday let

Read here to learn the best way to market your property.

Advertising your holiday let

Got a question? We're here to help you...

Getting cover with Pikl is super easy, but we understand that you may still have some burning questions and we’d love to hear from you. If you need to contact us, click on the ‘Get in touch’ link at the top of this page. Our opening hours are Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, excluding bank holidays.

Alternatively, if you’re looking to take out cover then click on the link below to get a quote.